Monday, October 11, 2004

Neighborhoods and Political Yard Signs

During this especially intense campaign season, whenever I am out with a buyer looking for a new home in any neighborhood in Greater Columbus Ohio, I can’t help but notice the proliferation of political yard signs.
First, if you’re selling your home don’t put a political sign in your yard. It will clash with your for sale sign and possibly sour the potential buyer on your home even before they walk in the front door.
This election year Ohioans seem particularly divided. You’re either blue or you’re red, there don’t seem to be too many purples out there.
This has led me to wonder about the fabric of community here in Columbus. Could it be that election signs are tearing apart once tranquil neighborhoods?
I know every person who lives in every house on my particular block. I have a pre-conceived and very loose idea of what they’re political affiliation may be. I also really like each of my neighbors. If my next door neighbor, or the family across the street were to put an election sign in their yard supporting the “other” candidate, I’d be very surprised and I can’t help but wonder how that may affect the way I think of that neighbor for as long as they live on the street.
Some of my best friends support the “other” candidate, as do many people I admire. Community building is a difficult thing to begin with though, and throwing a reason for others to think of you and your family in a “politically wrong” light out on the front lawn doesn’t seem like a good idea,
Yes, it’s America we live in and the freedom to express our politics, especially in an election year, is a notion sacred to all of us. Debate is beautiful, knowledge is intoxicating and, let’s face it, politics is not only a passionate arena, but a fun one too.
Yet, as I drive around town with my buyers the signs are everywhere. Would it make a difference to a home buyer? Probably not. Living between known “other party” supporters – already firmly behind their party to the point of erecting a yard sign- probably won’t change anyone’s mind if they’ve found the perfect home. (And if I am your Realtor, you will find only the perfect home.)
So we just let these signs and their owner’s political beliefs roll off us like water off a duck’s back. We have to. We must all get along.
Your new neighbors won’t talk about sex or how much they earn. They won’t put a sign in the yard that explains their favorite position or frequency or weekly take-home. I guess people put yard signs out because politics aren’t taboo in America, thank goodness.
When they bring over the house-warming casserole, it won’t be accompanied by conversations of foreign policy or domestic taxes, school vouchers, social security or immigration. It will be accompanied by a hearty “Welcome to the neighborhood, we’re glad you’re here.”
Let’s face it; you’re glad you’re there too.

1 Comments:

Blogger Calvinhill said...

Political movement is trying to reduce their expenses, the entrance of the growth of the great signs. Developments in the structure of a limited number of road entry and exit, usually only one, the residents will see these signs repeatedly.

Political Yard Signs

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home